Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Outward Appearance

A comment was left in chinese on one of my posts that was removed because it contained a link to an inappropriate site. However, I thought the comment itself was interesting (after translating it). The individual stated that the way something appears is not always consistent with the facts themselves and people are easily deceived by the superficial facade.

It's interesting, because I have been thinking a lot about this lately. The fact that there are so many people who claim to be Christian, even in the current movement toward evangelism, etc., who may not truly be Christian. I have to admit there are times I have my doubts even about myself, especially when stumbling through the trials that I am facing.

I think I stated in a previous post that it is so difficult to stay in the middle of the pendulum between liberalism and legalism. Lately I have been struggling with the pendulum being stuck too close to legalism and have almost become cynical about anything that I don't believe shows a true conversion. Yet who am I to judge? I know that I shouldn't, but since my flesh is weak, I find that there are times where I do judge someone who isn't acting or living the way that I think that they should if they are a true Christian. Instead of loving the person and hoping that they are saved or attempting to covert them, I get frustrated with them and scrutinize every word that comes out of their mouth.

Unfortunately, this has carried over to my church and I no longer like going. I go in order to help my husband with the Children's praise band and sometimes listen to the Children's Minister's biblical lesson. However, that is the extent that I have been involved at church lately.

The reason I am posting this struggle is that I have learned through this, that I must always be on guard against cynicism and judgementalism. Even if I don't think someone is Christian doesn't mean that God isn't working in or on them. Who am I to come along and crush the seed that has been planted or the tender sprout by my hyper-legalism? Unfortunately, I think that there have been too many times where I have done this.



Even Samuel in the Old Testament did this in a way when choosing the new king:


But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7


"This is a lesson the church needs to learn today. When
we look for leaders, we often seek those who possess certain characteristics
that we think spell success and ability. We look for people of influence,
power, intelligence and means. God, however, looks for people of integrity
and character. He wants people who are faithful and holy. What a
contrast! God is not nearly as impressed with people’s achievements as we
are. He is not concerned about the beauty of our outward man. He is
caught up in the condition of our heart!

"As God looks at your life, what does He see? Does He
see a handsome face, a pleasing physical appearance and a well-kept,
well-dressed body? No, He sees your heart. He sees the real
you! But, here is the real question: Does God see a heart that He can
use? Or, does He say about your life the same thing He said about Eliab,
“I have refused him?” What does God see in your heart?

"By the way, often we judge people by what they are.
God, on the other hand, looks at what they can become. Thank God He judges
us on the basis of amazing grace, not what the eye can see."


--Alan Carr, Sermon Notes


http://www.sermonnotebook.org/old%20testament/1%20Sam%2016_1-13.htm

4 comments:

Hazel said...

Hi Teri! First off, happy new year! :)

I, too, have the same struggle as you. Quick to judge, quick to condemn, quick to see other people's weaknesses... Ah, what a wretch, yet Jesus Christ loved and died for us... How undeserving. How humbling.

Thank you for this post, it made me rediscover that ugly side of me again and repent. :)

God bless you, Sister!

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

Teri: I enjoyed reading your blog. I have been witnessing to some of my family members now for over 20 years regarding the LDS Church. Here is a weblink I found most usful:
http://www.livinghopeutah.org/video/vid_bible_med.htm

God bless, and I hope some of these videos will be helpful. Lloyd

Teri Campbell said...

Hazel, thank you and Happy New Year to you as well!

Lloyd, thank you for the link. That is a great resource! It is good to know that there are ministries and churches in Utah that are creating videos that uncover the truth about the lies told in the Book of Mormon!

Anonymous said...

Happy 2010 !!!!

I think that for the most part most Christians < the real ones >
:0) do make quick judgement sometimes, make wrong judgments, and react wrongly....this is the old man within us that we are trying to overcome...we must recognize his ways < the works of the flesh > but also in Romans 8:1 says there is therefore No condemnation....
I am loving your post ... keep up the good works ...