Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Recent Inactivity

Please forgive my recent inactivity. My computer finally decided it was too overworked and crashed. I hope to have it up and running again soon.

How has the economy affected you? As many of you know, I am currently in a season where God wants me in the workforce. Strange as it may seem, I was rather excited when my boss announced the layoffs for our department last December. My job was one of the jobs that were to end. I had it all figured out that I was going to get to stay home with my kids and attempt homeschooling, be a good wife and homemaker, etc.

God had other plans for me. A little more than a month ago, my boss called me into his office and asked me if I would consider staying on until October. It meant a change in my duties. I accepted. Since then I have been extremely busy and my husband has stepped up on more than one occasion to assist me with picking up the children from school and taking care of them. Even with his busy schedule.

Now before you say that I am being selfish by continuing to work. God knows that my heart yearns to be at home with my children. However, I continue to work for His Glory. Besides having the opportunity to witness to my co-workers almost daily, God is showing me that my desire to stay at home is, in part, a form of selfishness on my part. In my desire to control my situation, I have been using the desire to be at home to show how "good" I am. Pride has reared its ugly head in my life again bringing along its cousin control issues.

In the past, I have used my desire to be at home with my kids as a reason for not working hard and even in instances as a reason for despising my husband. I believe this is the reason God has said to wait and that it is not my time yet to stay at home. So to His Glory, I will continue to work until He says it is time to stay home whether five or twenty years from now. Instead of coveting what my homeschooling neighbors have, I will be content with what God has given me and work hard for the Lord in the career that He has planned for me.

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve." Colossians 3:23-24

No comments: