Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How Do You Want To Be Remembered?

The past couple weeks a recurring theme has been coming up during my devotional time and while listening to my favorite podcasts. Recently, I was referred to a couple's blog that was such a great example of glorifying God in sickness and even death. It has had such an impact on me in that I have started to question how I would handle a situation like that. I would hope that I would have the same desire to use my situation to glorify God, but I fear that my flesh would give way. After all, I have struggled with glorifying God with the small things, how can I expect that I would react differently in a life changing situation?

I was reading my daily verses last week and came upon a confusing verse: Exodus 4:24. I decided to study it using commentaries and corresponding verses (still new to Hermeneutics, not sure I did it exactly right) and ran across a sermon by W.A. Criswell which talks about women (Moses' wife in particular) who can be overbearing to their mild husbands. Now I am not sure how biblically sound his theory is, but it started me thinking again about how I would like to be remembered: as a woman of fury, or as a woman of virtue (Proverbs 31:10-31) who loves God. I hope for the latter and fear for the former.

But God is good and He knows my heart. And through Jesus Christ, I have been washed clean and will stand before God someday with an advocate who died for me and who took the punishment that was reserved for me. Then why should I fear what people think, other than fear that in my weaknesses I do not turn them away from God. However, God works all thing for His Glory... even my weaknesses.

"In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. " Romans 8:26-28

No comments: